We’re turning complex challenges into optimized opportunities. We’re accelerating the transition and innovation in various market segments to achieve their sustainability goal for a cleaner, more efficient, and powerful product.
PODCAST FEATURE: HOW YOU CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE WITH OUR ELECTRIFICATION SOLUTIONS
We were recently invited to The Crownsmen Show, a podcast group that covers business, technology, and leadership from all major industrial sectors, for an episode packed with insightful discussions on our philosophy, values, and innovative solutions in electrification.
OUR INNOVATIONS IN xEV
Your goal is our goal – we help support electrification projects from hybrid and battery electric vehicles to other fields of technology and industries without losing focus on the competitiveness in the markets.
Our teams of experts are dedicated to developing innovative solutions through powder metallurgy for these ideal applications in e-mobility.
- Complete thermal management parts and sub-assembly for cooling and heating with water or oil
- Powder metal-based motors with higher magnetic pole counts
- One-stop shop and pre-assembled products for both gearboxes, pumps, and motors
- Precision 3D design freedom for compact and powerful e-motors for oil and water pump solutions
- Sustainable, torque dense, compact, and efficient
- Reduce cost and assembly
- Balancing weights, powerful E-motor kits, and many other cost effective components for new E-Compressor generation
- Advanced powder metal technology for both pure copper and aluminum battery terminals
- Customizable and easy to achieve specific geometry and design needs
- Ultrasonic welded to cell casing with simple manufacturing and no machining
- Sustainable material utilization and capability for high volume production
- High electrical property pf pure PM Aluminum and Copper
- Higher design degree freedom for customized design able to improve bus bar connection
- Low weight and high thermal conductivity with our best-in-class powder metal technology
- Excellent thermal conductivity of PM Aluminum with wide fin pin design freedom
- Unique Aluminum Alloys with excellent formability
- Sustainable material and PM design
- Capability for high volume production
- NVH improved modular drivetrain platforms for hybrid and electrical vehicles
- Lightweight aluminum motor endplate to achieve balancing and thermal conductivity requirements
- Proven excellence on automatic transmission, differential gears, parking wheel, and dog clutches
- Better performance and durability
- PM forged transmission parts
NEW OPPORTUNITIES FOR INTEGRATED DESIGNS
We’re turning challenges into opportunities! Our advanced PM technology offers smart solutions for automotive and industrial components. Let’s explore the advantages in these newly defined applications.
Even for traditional combustion engines, more electrified on-demand subsystems are used to meet regional and national CO2 requirements. Looking at the EV and HEV sector, new drivetrain and chassis architectures set new requirements for size, thermal management, and noise behavior
Our advanced PM technology offers smart solutions for several car components. This includes E-pumps and E-motors for the growing number of on demand actuated Fly-by-wire systems (also called X-by-wire). Other applications are NVH optimized gears for e-drive transmissions, and other lightweight solutions through lightweight materials and designs
DESIGN FOR PM APPROACH
Electrification is a journey that requires teamwork, and we believe great innovations come from great partnership.
Our advanced Design for PM (DPM) Approach is a partnership approach that offers an opportunity to review the design of complete sub-systems and components that are subject to the new and common challenges coming with electrification.
Together, we look at the part's function and achieves product optimization of the overall performance in a collaborative approach with you.
OUR SOLUTIONS FOR E-MOBILITY + INDUSTRIAL AUTOMATION + AIR MOBILITY
There’s more to discover! Our teams of experienced engineers and industry experts continuously explore the role that our technology can play in the development of the increasing industrial automation, e-mobility, and air mobility applications.
- Best-in-class Powder Metallurgy Technology for Customized, Compact, and Innovative Designs
- Achieve Better Performance and Efficiency with Sustainable and Net Shape Manufacturing
- Cost Effective Solutions without Compromise
- Industry Experts to Support from Material Selection to Design to Serial Production
We’re a solutions partner, developing better performing components for electrification projects. We offer a complete development value chain from technology validation to simulation, prototyping and testing.
THE POWER BEHIND OUR EFFICIENT ELECTRICAL SOLUTIONS
Soft magnetic composite (SMC) materials offer a new solution in powder metallurgy to produce superior performance in electric motor designs and components.
SMC is a unique material with particles that have an electrically isolating coating, which remains active even after pressing and curing. With its 3D and isotropic properties, we’re able to unleash full design freedom by combining it with our powder metallurgy technology.
CASE STUDY SPOTLIGHT: Our Contribution to Sustainability
In a customer project, their team is looking to improve the efficiency of their current automotive electrical water pump. They needed a sustainable solution that can reduce energy loss and improve product life without compromising on performance.
After co-developing the electrical water pump based on their needs, we were able to optimized an axial flux motor design (AFM) for the automotive electrical water pump with net shape manufacturing, which improved the electromagnetic efficiency over the average duty cycle by 4% over their present radial flux motor (RFM) solution.
Based on the specified lifetime expectation and an average operational working condition for their e-pump, on the electromagnetic side, we were able to reduce the energy losses over 10,000h operating time by 82.7 kWh. If we multiply by the number of 200,000 vehicles for an example, this will lead to an energy saving of 16.5 GigaWh! This equals to a saving of 1,418.7 tons of oil.
WHY PARTNER WITH US
We’re discovering more together by defining operational excellence and committing to deliver values without compromise.
We provide the support from concept development to full production capabilities with our best-in-class powder metallurgy technology.
- Dedicated and personalized technology exchange sessions
- Customized solutions to meet your expectations
- Digitization and Industry 4.0
- Sustainable manufacturing
- Experienced global teams
Let's turn challenges in electrification into opportunities for efficient, powerful, and complete e-drives, sub-systems, and components.
About GKN PM Electromagnetic Applications
About Our ApplicationsTransmission Gears (226 kb)Battery Terminal (133 kb)Busbar Terminal (199 kb)PF Clutch Applications (212 kb)PF Parking Lock System (189 kb)Rotor End Plates (173 kb)AFM for Automation Equipment (886 kb)TFM for Drones (623 kb)TFM for eBike Application (816 kb)TFM for eWheelchairs (705 kb)TFM for Industrial and Commercial HVLS Fans (1.93 mb)TFM for Marine Application (817 kb)TFM for Scooters (754 kb)AFM for ePumps (828 kb)BEV - Differential Gear Solutions (149 kb)BEV - Planetary Carrier Solutions (167 kb)BEV - Clutch Plate Solutions (225 kb)BEV - One Way Clutch Solutions (262 kb)
MEET OUR GLOBAL TEAM
Our Team is Your Team! Discover opportunities and advantages with our global team.